WCED announces the Province's top teachers in the 2019 Provincial Teaching Awards
Statement by Minister Debbie Schäfer, Minister of Education Western Cape
On Friday evening the Western Cape Education Department announced the names of the top teachers in the province at an event at the CTICC.
The awards recognize excellence in teaching and education leadership and provide an opportunity to showcase and celebrate excellence throughout the education system.
The awards follow a rigorous selection process in all eight education districts of the province and regional finals involving clusters of districts.
Approximately 33 000 teachers in the Western Cape were eligible for nomination. The names of the provincial winners will go forward to the national competition.
The awards recognized excellence in the following ten categories:
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
- Excellence in Grade R Teaching
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
- Excellence in teaching Natural Sciences (GET)
- Excellence in teaching Mathematics (GET)
- Excellence in Technology–Enhanced, Teaching and Learning Award
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
- Lifetime Achievement Award (Minimum of 30 years without a break of service in a public school/centre in South Africa)
The 2019 Leadership Excellence Award in After School Programming was also announced. (Winner's bio)
A full list of all the winners is available here.
Please also see attached a speech by Minister Schäfer.
The WCED is proud of our teachers that has participated in the 20th edition of the NTA and wish to congratulate all teachers who were nominated and who were ultimately rewarded with the accolades of best teacher in their respective category of entry and cluster.
Western Cape Education Department
072 7241422 (please whatsapp or sms me if unavailable)