Time to enter the National Teaching Awards!
22 June 2023
Nominations for the 2023 National Teaching awards are now open and will close on 24 July 2023. The Western Cape Education Department is encouraging all Western Cape teachers to enter.
"The NTAs are a chance for us to recognise our teachers for their outstanding work throughout the year,” said Provincial Minister for Education David Maynier.
“We encourage all of our teachers to take up the opportunity to participate. Previous winners have gone on to achieve amazing things in our department, so we can’t wait to see what this year’s winners will bring to the table!"
The provincial awards ceremony will take place on 25 August 2023. The provincial winners will then be entered into and attend the national awards ceremony taking place in October 2023, as we celebrate Teacher’s month.
Teachers may enter in the following fourteen categories:
- Excellence in Grade R Teaching
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
- Excellence in Special Needs Leadership
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (GET)
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (FET)
- Excellence in Teaching Natural Sciences
- Excellence in Teaching Physical Sciences
- Excellence in Technology – Enhanced, Teaching and Learning
- Kader Asmal Lifetime Achievement Award
- National Best Teacher Award
Teachers, principals, governing body members and district officials are encouraged to submit nominations, based on the criteria contained in the Nomination and Information Guide. The awards are open to all teachers at registered public sector schools. The Nomination and Information Guide can be found on the WCED website.
A “How-to-enter” guide video is also available here.