Learner Admissions FAQ
How do I get my child enrolled in a school of my choice? Some points to consider.
- Apply early. Don’t wait till the last day.
- Parents should apply to at least three schools (including their nearest school).
- Know the law/check the school’s Admission Policy.
- Schools may NOT use their own hard copy, online forms or systems, or request any additional information from parents not in line with the South African Schools Act, the Admission Policy for Ordinary Public Schools or POPI Act.
What is the admission age for Grade 1?
- Compulsory school-going age (Grade 1) is seven years in the year that the child is in Grade 1.
- Admission to Grade R is six years in the year that the child is in Grade R.
What documents are required to register a child at a public school?
- Immunisation card. (Primary School only).
- Last school report card for learners who have been to school.
- ID: birth certificate, passport, study permit or proof of application or police affidavit.
- Proof of Residence.
Certified copies of all documents are required.
Application for Grade R?
1 - 16 August 2024. Parents apply online.
Can a child be refused permission if they do not live in a school’s feeder zone?
The WCED has not declared any feeder zones/areas.
Can schools charge a registration fee before accepting learner?
No. Schools may not charge a fee before accepting a learner.
How do parents apply?
How do I appeal against a school’s decision not to enrol my child?
Where do parents go if they do not find a place?