From the pen of the learner – multilingual writing competition for Grade 6
12 September 2019
On Friday, 06 September 2019, the Directorate: Curriculum General Education and Training (GET) hosted a Gala dinner to celebrate the Multilingual Writing Competition for Grade 6 learners.
This is the fourth year that the competition is conducted in isiXhosa, Sesotho, Afrikaans and English and the second year that the Western Cape Education Department included South African Sign Language.
Peter Tabichi, the 2019 Global Teacher Prize Winner, was the guest speaker. He was awarded the WCED’s Children's Award by Head of Education, Brian Schreuder, at the function.
The learners’ essays have been published in a multilingual story book titled 'From the pen of the learner'. The book includes the work of learners who signed their work before it was transcribed.
The 2019 Multilingual writing competition winners are:
- Alulutho Phike, Noluthando School for the Deaf (The life of Nelson Rholihlahla Mandela)
- Erin Dreyer, Okkie Smuts Primary School (The hidden city)
- Jenna Du Preez, Zwaanswyk Academy (Murphyville)
- Musa Mbeleko, Hopolang Primary School (Lebitso Lebe Ke Seromo)
- Ntombovuyo Mhanji, Noluthando School for the Deaf (Special people we respect)
- Oratile Lekau, Lehlohonolo Primary School (Ka Tla Ka Iketsa!)
- Sinenceba Mabona, Mfuleni Primary School (Boomalume, Boomalume…Yekani Ukusihlumkumeza, Nathi Singabantu)
- Ziyanda Gazi, Zwelihle Primary School (Bootata, Boomalume…Yekani Ukusihlumkumeza, Nathi Singabantu)
- (Bjӧrn Rothman, Somerset-Wes Primêre Skool (Wees dankbaar)
- Emma I. Hamman, Overberg Primêre Skool (Kattekwaad)