Minister Maynier congratulates provincial winners of the National Teaching Awards
Statement by Minister David Maynier, Minister of Education Western Cape
This evening I was joined by the Premier of the Western Cape, Alan Winde, as the Western Cape Education Department announced the provincial winners of the 2022 National Teaching Awards. They will go on to represent us in the national competition next month.
The one thing that the pandemic taught us is that schools matter, and that teachers matter. I thank all of our teachers across the province, for their innovation, dedication, integrity, commitment, courage, caring, and most importantly, the deep love that they have for the children of the Western Cape.
All teachers, governing bodies and district officials were invited to submit nominations of teachers at registered public sector schools. These awards give us the opportunity to celebrate the outstanding work our teachers do on a daily basis.
The 2022 provincial winners are:
- Excellence in Grade R Teaching: Ms Jamie-Lee Titus, Sunningdale Primary School, Sunningdale, Blouberg
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching: Ms Delanie Geldenhuys, Alta du Toit School, Kuils River
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (GET): Ms Memory Dizha, Manzomthombo Secondary School, Mfuleni
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (FET): Ms Lizette Schroeder, Protea Heights Academy, Brackenfell
- Excellence in Teaching Natural Sciences: Ms Luize Kroukamp, Paul Roos Gymnasium, Stellenbosch
- Excellence in Teaching Physical Sciences: Ms Marieke Pretorius, Apex High School, Eerste River
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching: Ms Charnelle Hector, Belmor Primary School, Hanover Park
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching: Ms Robin van de Rheede, Apex High School, Electric City, Eerste River
- Excellence in Technology–Enhanced Teaching and Learning Award: Mr Niel Botha, Hermanus Primary School, Hermanus
- Excellence in Special Needs Leadership: Ms Yolanda Lupondo, Siviwe School of Skills, Gugulethu
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership: Mr Mark Agulhas, Elnor Primary School, Elsies River
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership: Mr John Matiso, Manzomthombo Secondary School, Mfuleni
- Kader Asmal Lifetime Achievement Award: Mr Ridwan Samodien, Kannemeyer Primary School, Grassy Park
Congratulations to all the winners, and to the runners up. We are building a network of ground-breaking teachers and leaders through these awards, whose example we can all learn from and be inspired by, and mentors who we can lean on when times get tough.
As the Premier put it:
“Our teachers are so much more than just educators. They often have to act as counsellors, guardians, protectors and life coaches of sorts, offering our learners education, hope and guidance, sometimes under challenging circumstances. I urge all our educators to keep up with their invaluable work. Thank you to all our teachers for all they do for our children and education system; and a special congratulations to this evening’s winners.”
Spokesperson to Minister David Maynier
Western Cape Ministry of Education