In 2011 the Minister of Basic Education, Mrs A Motshekga, launched the Kader Asmal Excellence Award in honour of Professor Kader Asmal for his contribution to education and to society broadly. Professor Kader Asmal introduced the National Teaching Awards (NTA) scheme during his term of office in the Ministry of Education in 2000; and they are now in their twentieth year of implementation. The inception of the Kader Asmal Excellence Award enables the Minister to honour an outstanding educator embodying some of the core values that Professor Asmal stood for and at the same time honour Professor Asmal for his contribution to the development of education in this country. The Minister of Basic Education sends to all Members of the Executive Council (MEC) an invitation to submit names of outstanding educationists who fit the profile for the Minister’s consideration.
The Kader Asmal Excellence Award seeks to recognise educators who, in their work, demonstrate the key values that were a hallmark of Prof Asmal‘s leadership:
- A demanding educational activist who leads by example;
- An educator with a conscience and a feel for social justice;
- Takes/has taken a stand for an issue (popular or unpopular) on grounds of conscientiousness;
- Intellectual tenacity and rigour; and
- Creative and inspired visible delivery.
The Kader Asmal national winner is selected by a panel which consists of senior managers of the Department of Basic Education Department of Basic Education and used to be chaired by Professor Asmal’s wife, Mrs Louise Asmal, who asked to be excused because of her health and age.
To enter the Kader Asmal Award, the candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Be an activist teacher/educator (school or office-based) and/or educationalist still serving or retired in the Education Sector. This includes candidates who work at Higher Education Institutions (HEIs); NonGovernmental Organisations (NGOs); Non-Profit Organisations (NPOs); Community Based Organisations (CBOs); Faith Based Organisations (FBOs); and social partners; and
- Hold South African citizenship. Finalists who had participated in this category before are excluded from participating in this category again.
For more information, please contact Mr Gavin de Bruyn
Tel. no.: 021 900 5062 | 021 900 5037
Submission of entries
Completed nomination forms must be forwarded to: