National Curriculum Statement Grades R–12 Present and Future
The National Curriculum Statement Grades R–12 (NCS) document stipulates policy on curriculum and assessment in the schooling sector. To improve its implementation, this document is being amended with the introduction of the National Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements Grades R-12 (CAPS) during the period 2011 - 2014.
Detailed plans for the implementation of the CAPS by the WCED are available here.
for the Present:
In 2011 the WCED will continue to implement the existing National Curriculum Statement Grades R–12 (NCS) document:
- For the General Education and Training Band (GET), Grades R - 9:
an introduction and online reference guide to the Outcomes and Assessment Standards for the current curriculum, Grades R - 9, is available here.
- For the Further Education and Training Band (FET), Grades 10 - 12:
documents relating to the National Curriculum Statement Grades 10-12 (General), 2004, are available here.
for the Future:
National Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements (CAPS) are being developed for each subject to replace the current Subject Statements, Learning Programme Guidelines and Subject Assessment Guidelines in Grades R-12.
The National Department of Basic Education has provided the following implementation strategy:
- 2011 - Preparation for the introduction of the CAPS
- 2012 - Introduction of CAPS in Grades R - 3 and Grade 10
- 2013 - Introduction of CAPS in Grades 4 - 9 and Grade 11
- 2014 - Introduction of CAPS in Grade 12