Philadelphia learner wins Story Stars competition!
19 March 2021
Would it not be every Grade 4 learner’s dream to write, narrate and star in an animated film?
Well, that’s exactly what happened to a Grade 4 learner from Philadelphia Primary School, Keschrie Booysen, who is the 2020 Story Stars essay competition winner.
Yesterday, Provincial Minister for Education, Debbie Schafer visited the school to premiere the next instalment of “Story Stars: The adventures of Felix and Felicity”, which now includes Keschrie’s story and her as a character alongside Felix and Felicity.
Story Stars is an animated film created by using stories that were written and narrated by Grade 4 learners from the Western Cape. The film can be viewed and/or downloaded at https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/story-stars
Last year, hundreds of entries from schools were submitted, and after a lengthy adjudication process, the winning stories were selected.
- 1st place: “The last adventure in Shoe Land” by Keschrie Booysen – Philadelphia Primary – Metro North – Teacher: Elzanne Loubser
- 2nd place: “Green saves the day!” by Kylie Muller – Mitchells Plain Primary – Metro South – Teacher: Mrs J Doman
- 3rd place: “Felix and Felicity the two adventurers” by Mibono Cekeshe – Laerskool Volschenk – Eden and Central Karoo – Teacher: J Lotter
- 4th place – “Imagination world” by Kristan Gabriels – AZ Berman Primary – Metro South – Teacher: Ms A Swail
- 5th place – “Sanitising Sarah saves the day” by Sarah Meyer – Sweet Valley Primary – Metro South – Teacher: Mrs Roslin Senogles
- 6th place – “The last adventure” by Jessica (unfortunately no further details were submitted)
- 7th place – “One crazy day” by Thomas Hudson – Paarl Boys’ Primary – Cape Winelands – Teacher: Mrs Jacobs
- 8th place – “Felix and Felicity Returns Home” by Joshua Barties – Liesbeeck Primary – Metro South – Teacher: Amy Opperman
- 9th place – “The great training adventure” by Ludwig Odendaal – Laerskool Volschenk – Eden Karoo – Teacher: J Lotter
- 10th place – “Candyland” by Melissa Wills – Sweet Valley Primary – Metro South – Teacher: Mrs Roslin Senogles
Congratulations to all our finalists!
In addition to writing, starring in and narrating the video, the Story Stars winner also received a tablet, book bag and branded stationery. The winning school received a R10 000 transfer payment for learning and teaching support material and the teacher, a R2 000 gift voucher, book bag and stationery.
The 2nd and 3rd prize winners each received a tablet, book bag and stationery.
The 2021 Grade 4 competition is now open and we encourage all Grade 4 teachers to allow their learners to read the story booklet which has been provided to schools, watch the animated film, and then finish the story by including themselves as a character using the learner booklets.
Teachers have been provided a matrix to assist them with marking the creative story and must submit the winning entry from their class to the WCED by 23 April 2021.