Kenwyn Primary still going strong after 100 years
23 January 2020
Kenwyn Primary school has big plans for 2020 – the school’s centenary.
The school first opened its doors to learners in 1920 and was known as Lansdowne School. In 1923 the school was transferred to the Cape School Board and moved to its present site.
In January 1981, the school's name was changed to Windsor Primary because both the Preparatory and High Schools are situated on what was formerly known as Windsor Estate. Construction of the present building was completed in 1985.
In 1994 negotiations commenced to alter the composition of the school whereby the existing Senior Primary would expand to include a Junior Primary section. Thus 1995 saw the first Sub A (Grade 1) class enrolled since the Preparatory School was established in 1942. In 1996 Grade 2 and Grade 3 classes were added thus making us a full Primary School.
In order to eliminate confusion between us and the Preparatory School, the name of the school was simultaneously changed to Kenwyn Primary School in 1996.
Principal Brent Morgenrood appealed to all former learners to lend their talents to the school’s milestone year.