Only one week left to enter for Kader Asmal Excellence Award
17 October 2019
Nominations for the Kader Asmal Excellence Award is closing on 25 October 2019.
The award was launched in 2011 in honour of Professor Kader Asmal for his contribution to education and to society broadly.
Professor Asmal introduced the National Teaching Awards (NTA) scheme during his term of office in the Ministry of Education in 2000; and they are now in their twentieth year of implementation.
The Kader Asmal Excellence Award seeks to recognise educators who, in their work, demonstrate the key values that were a hallmark of Prof Asmal‘s leadership:
- A demanding educational activist who leads by example;
- An educator with a conscience and a feel for social justice;
- Takes/has taken a stand for an issue (popular or unpopular) on grounds of conscientiousness;
- Intellectual tenacity and rigour; and
- Creative and inspired visible delivery.
The Kader Asmal national winner is selected by a panel which consists of senior managers of the Department of Basic Education Department of Basic Education.
Visit the WCED website (https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/2019-national-teaching-awards-professor-kader-asmal-excellence-award) for nomination forms and more information.