Blue Heritage plaque
awarded to the
Centre for Conservation Education
This week, the Simon van der Stel Heritage Foundation unveiled the Blue Heritage Plaque award to the Centre for Conservation Education for exceptional service to the community.
The inscription reads: “Since 1836, serving the community continuously as School of Industry, Aliwal Road Primary School, Centre for Conservation Education and Education Museum – the only one of its kind in Africa”.
The Centre was first established in 1836 as a school and is the oldest education institution in Wynberg. Lady Anna D’Urban, a resident of the community, started the school for the daughters of the poorer residents and freed slaves in Wynberg. In 1836 it educated less than 30 girls, where they were taught the basic 3Rs to prepare them for employment. In 2018 the Centre provides 21st century environmental education to learners of the Western Cape. Over its lifespan of 182 years of continuous education, much has changed, but the doors of learning have always remained open. The curriculum has constantly had to adapt to the needs of modern society and hosts a wonderful exhibition of education artifacts of the Province’s education history.
The Blue Heritage Status is a well-deserved award!