How do I get my child enrolled in a school of my choice?
Some points to consider.

Apply early. Donít wait till the last day.
Apply to more than one school.
Know the law/check the schoolís Admission Policy.

What is the admission age for Grade 1?

Compulsory school-going age (Grade 1) is 7 years in the year that
the child is in Grade 1.
Admission to Grade R is 6 years in the year that the child is in Grade R.

What documents are required to register a child at a
public school?

  1. Birth certificate.
  2. Immunisation card.
  3. A transfer card/letter.
  4. Last school report card for learners who have been to school.
  5. A study permit issued by Home Affairs for foreign learners.

A child may be registered provisionally if these documents are not available. The parent must be given reasonable time to submit them.

Is it important to enrol for Grade R?

Yes. Early childhood development assists learners to cope better
later on in their school careers.

Can a child be refused permission if they do not live in a
schoolís feeder zone?

The WCED has not declared any feeder zones/areas.

Can schools charge a non-refundable deposit before
accepting learner?

No. Schools may not charge a fee before accepting a learner.

How can I check the status of my child's application for

You can check the status of your child's application for admission on our Schools Admission Management Information System by clicking here.

Do parents have a right to appeal?

Yes. Parents can appeal to the provincial Minister of Education.

Where do parents go if they do not find a place?

Parents may approach their local district office.

Head Office
Lance Abrahams
Tel: 021 467 2364 | 021 467 2000

Cape Winelands
John Goliath
Tel: 023 348 6000 | 023 348 4604

Eden & Central Karoo
Albie Ellman
Tel: 044 803 8300 | 044 803 8309

Metro Central
Brenda Robertson
Tel: 021 514 6700 | 021 514 6721

Metro East
Eric Magodla
Tel: 021 900 7173 | 021 900 7203

Metro North
Leon Rutgers
Tel: 021 938 3000 | 021 938 3004

Metro South
Reginald Dreyer
Tel: 021 374 4107

Japie Bailey
Tel: 028 214 7300 | 028 214 7379

West Coast
Anlerie Truter
Tel: 021 860 1200 | 021 860 1206

WCED Call Centre: 0861 923 322 (If you are unsure of which district to approach)