1. Schools which organise outings require parents to sign an indemnity form.
2. The use of these forms cannot legally waive the right of a child to claim for damages in the event of an accident or incident where such child sustains damages to his or her person during a school outing. The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) therefore does not recommend the use of indemnity forms.
3. However, a school must obtain the permission of the parent or guardian before the learner leaves the school grounds to go on a school outing. For this purpose all WCED schools are required to use a parental consent form. The attached form is an example which schools may want to use.
4. Please note that the use of the aforementioned consent form does not absolve the school and teachers from liability stemming from negligence on their part.
5. A parental consent form must be completed for each and every school outing. Schools may not request the parent or guardian to complete one form in order to cover all outings for a year.
6. Please bring the contents of this circular to the attention of all persons concerned.

DATE: 2010-04-13

Parental Consent Form  (size: 12 KB)